For the grand finale, the best was saved for last. Petra was amazing, no doubt about it... but 4x4ing in the Wadi Rum desert (famous from Lawrence of Arabia) was the highlight for me. The scenery reminded me of Moab and Southern Utah, though the beautiful red and pink sand dunes are just amazing. Plus, out here anything goes.Below is a photo of me with our Bedouin driver, Am-Jet (don't quote me on the spelling). He took four of us on the ride of our lives. There were about 6 vehicles, and he always managed to trail behind the others just so we could have some REAL fun. Nearly all of the roads were deep sand and he was fish-tailing all over the place (to put it mildly). And I kid you not... the truck nearly rolled 4 times. As soon as I get a decent internet connection, I'll upload video of one of the instances and you can see for yourself. For a grand finale, he took us up top this 50 ft high sand dune and took us what felt like straight down. From my position, all I could see was sand in the windshield -- no horizon. Did I mention that there were no seat belts? Shhhhh... don't tell
Here is a pic of another vehicle cutting us off.
Some of these rock formations are reminiscent of a Roger Dean painting...
Can you see the elephant head & trunk in the mountain?
Camels make the most awful groaning sound when brought to their knees. Sounds kinda a Ton-ton from The Empire Strikes Back.
Hmmm... somebody was here previously....
The T-bird group in front of the 7 Pillars Mountain (which Lawrence named his book after).
13 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment