Sunday, September 02, 2007

August Round-Up

The month started with Tim and I in Salt Lake City spending time with family while he coached a volleyball camp.

August 2nd to 5th: Breena to Monterrey, Mexico for "El casamiento de Leslie y Alex" (my espanol is really coming along, eh?). Leslie was the most beautiful bride wearing the most beautiful lace gown made by Ms. Tracy "designer/seamstress to the stars" Astle. Monterrey was beautiful, HUGE, mountainous, green and not at all what I expected. Tim and I are still hoping that a half-term in Monterrey will work with his school requirements (and our budget) next spring. The reception was fantastic. All weddings should be such a fiesta. Non-stop dancing, laughing and chips n' salsa. It was really great to spend time with my LA posse of girlfriends since we're spread out all over the globe now. You'll notice Tauna and Christy Foxy both six months pregnant in the photo below. All the changes are so exciting.






Meanwhile, Tim was coaching the last of his summer camps in Las Vegas. He was pretty worn out at this point and didn't get any sort of summer break before jumping into his newest adventure.

August 12: Tim and I spoke in our new ward. It went really well. Tim spoke on Physical Health and I spoke on Spiritual and Emotional Strength. and Tim was called to be the ward sports director for the 85th time in his life :)

August 19: Tim and I celebrated our first anniversary. What a wonderful year it has been. I am truly blessed.

August 13-24: Tim started bootcamp. No, not that kind. His program at Thunderbird recommended that the incoming MBA's participate in two weeks of non-stop accounting/statistic/finance/economics fun. Not exactly the sort of break he needed, but he got to know a lot of the other incoming students and got refreshed on all of his "favorite" subjects.
August 25: My very first NFL game. Tim and I went to the preseason Cardinals game at the beautiful new stadium. It was so fun. I scored a killer deal on some great seats on Craigs List. After a slightly shady parking lot transaction to get the tickets, we were in! I wish more NFL games were on Saturday so we could go.

August 26: They split our new ward. Most of the younger folks (i.e. people our age) are now in the other ward, but we're excited about the change. It's easier to get to know people in smaller wards and there's more opportunity to serve.

August 24-31: Tim started Thunderbird Foundations week. 14 hours a day 6 days a week getting oriented and ready for his program. Thunderbird does a good job involving the families of students and I was able to attend a dinner and spend a lot of time on campus. Thunderbird has a great campus feel--it's small and intimate and truly diverse. At the traditional "Flag Ceremony" held during the week there were over 31 countries represented in Tim's incoming class. We're feeling really good about the decision to come here and Tim really feels like this program is the perfect fit for him.





I'm adjusting to life in Arizona. There has been a bit of culture shock. I miss living in the city. I miss friends. I miss days when the temperature has less than 3 digits (Arizona has had 32 days over 110 degrees this summer. HOT.). But I am excited to get settled in, working on my dissertation and getting reacquainted with my old 'hood.


Happy Labor Day!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Sounds like Leslie and Alex's wedding was a blast! Thanks for posting the pictures, you guys look great and it's so fun to see Foxy pregnant!

Kristie said...

I SWEAR I DIDN'T HAVE ANY TEQUILA THAT NIGHT! (Geez Bree, could you have posted and uglier pic of me?)
:) Good times.