Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Calculating the Costs...


The other night we were sitting on the couch watching ESPN or HGTV or one of our other mindless TV favorites and a Coke commercial came on. I quickly calculated in my head that the amount I spend on Diet Coke every year is greater than or equal to a round-trip ticket to London (this is how I guage the cost and value of pretty much everything). So I presented a fairly simple scenario to Tim-- "If I give up my Diet Coke habit, can I go to London once a year for the rest of our lives?"
He didn't respond for what seemed like several minutes and I'm pretty sure the following thoughts were going through his mind: 1) "There's no way she'll give up Diet Coke, so I should just say yes" and 2) "but if she actually does give up Diet Coke, how much will a lifetime of annual London trips cost me?".
The first words that actually came out of his mouth in response, though, were "It depends what you choose to replace the Diet Coke with", assuming that the only way I would stop drinking Diet Coke is if I found something more harmful, addictive and toxic to replace it with. Thanks, hon.
While we haven't worked out the details of this "life without Diet Coke" plan (like how I would wake up and construct coherent sentences before 2pm and how I would ever complete writing assignments), thinking about it in terms of trips to London has caused me to give it more serious thought... You would think that concerns about my bone density and health would be the catalyst, but, nope...trips to London.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Hey guys...this is great. I hope you post on a regular basis!

Bree, have you ever really contemplated giving up DC before? I will be more than impressed if London ends up taking its place.

Miss you!

natali said...

its cool instead of calculating trips to london i think in terms of jeans. totally makes sense. oh and good luck with the diet coke thing. i lasted 18 days.