Sunday, February 11, 2007

Our first posting (take a picture)




Okay... this is the first time either of us has attempted to post a blog on the internet. Many of our friends are doing it, and as dumb as it sounded to me the first time I found out what a blog even was, I find it very entertaining and it's an easy way to catch up with peeps whenever you find the time (this also eliminates the need for us to keep a diary and therefore our postecessors (opposite of predecessors) will have something to read). So, we are going to take turns blogging so that you can stay in touch with the WelJenkerson's. The picture above is of me blogging in my work clothes.

Weather issues. Anybody living in the East/Northeast of the country understands that it is booger-freezing cold right now. I suppose that we are paying for the 70 degree temperatures that we enjoyed until mid-January, but this is ridicurous. I know that some of you have lived here before and you think that you know what I'm talking about, but you don't. And zero degrees in Utah is like -30 degrees here. Plus the wind chill is like 50 degrees colder. So it's like -80 degrees here right now basically. Catch my draft? I mean drift? I mean... nevermind :) IT'S COLD!! So, since I work at home, I just don't go anywhere. Ever. I take Breena to the Metro stop in the morning, pick her up in the afternoon, and that's it. There are like 50 newspapers out on our sidewalk right now. I wear my longjohns to church every week and Breena wears her scarf and gloves throughout the meetings. But although I feel sorry for myself and even more for Breena (who has to walk from the Metro to her office everyday), I feel bad for our poor little ecosystem. We had roses in December. Ducks that never migrated are trying to figure out why they can't swim on ice. And poor little scrappy (our squirrel) was wandering around in 1 inch of snow this week looking very confused... and cold.

Yesterday, notwithstanding (how many triple compound words are there? Anyone?) the cold, we attempted to do something fun since we've already watched every season of 24 in the past month and a half, and we were feeling a little guilty since there is so much cultural stuff to do and see around here. So, we decided to go to the National Museum of the American Indian (this must confuse the heck out of any Hindus... I always thought that we weren't supposed to refer to Native Americans as Indians... when did that change back? Mom?). We've been wanting to go for a while since the building looks so cool from the outside, but for reasons I won't get into, our visit was rather disappointing although we did get a premo parking space, but that was the only highlight. Oh, and the yummy scone/torta frita/fry bread thingy with honey and powdered sugar on it in the restaurant cafe. Afterward, although unequipped to tackle the weather for more than 2 blocks, we ventured farther out in the cold to see if we could access the National Botanical Garden before it closed. Bad idea. We walked around the entire block (4 blocks past our capability), and we couldn't even find the entrance... probably because Breena had her face tucked into her coat and my corneas were frozen over. Against all odds we made it back to the car. For all you men that like to drive fast... listen up. If you are married to a woman that doesn't like you to drive fast, just move someplace where the weather is REALLY cold. She will scream at you to drive faster so that the heater will warm up more quickly. It really works.

As if braving the elements yesterday wasn't risky enough, Breena decided that she was in the mood for Wagamama's food. For those of you not familiar with Wagamama's, it's a Japanese noodle bar located in London. So I thought to myself, "oh crap, looks like we're flying to London for dinner tonight..." (although we would love to see Lou & Jonathon :). Instead she googled the restaurants in town to try and find a place that was similar. You have to understand that while I enjoy trying out new types of food, when we eat out I like to stay conservative... Italian, Chinese, Mexican, or American. My vote never goes for Thai, Japanese, Indian (not Native American Indian), or Kabob Palace. To me, trying exotic food means that you take a bite... not that you take a gamble on wasting $30-$40 at a restaurant. I know that I will never be disappointed at Olive Garden, but I cringe when we go someplace called Matubas and wonder if afterwards I will either hurl, come home hungry, or both. This is exactly what happened last night. We went to this hole-in-the-wall Japanese restaurant to find some noodles reminiscant of Wagamamas and they didn't even have noodles. So, we both ordered teryaki chicken... safe, right? Wrong. This chicken was fatty & nasty. Not even the extra teryaki sauce could cover it up. So not only was Breena unlucky in finding a noodle, let alone a Wagamama noodle, we both got home freezing cold, holding our stomachs, grumbling ooooohahhhherrrrroog all night. My streak of 9 straight years without puking is still in tact, but last night was a close call. Next time Breena wants a noodle, we're going to Olive Garden where I know that noodles actually exist.

1 comments:

Laura said...

Tim, your blogs will be published one day... you are hilarious!

And don't, DO NOT underestimate the sexiness of the long john. It's the whole, "I'm sexy because I'm trying not to be sexy look", (just as long as they are not uni long johns with the convenient flappo).

Also, I was introduced to Waggamamma's when I lived in London for a brief couple of months. It was in London where I reached ultimate maximum density. RAWR. Hobnobs, Waggamamma's, and the occasional kabob stand...in addition to a diet void of any green leafy substances- gave me a wardrobe void of anything that fit.

ps: I think it's utterly adorable that you drop Weena off and pick her up after school. I bet you speed on your way home. Alone.