Al Gore would be proud of me... not that I really care. Last week I felt green. Last week I was green. Last week I coached a camp in Lynden, Washington, which is located about two hours north of Seattle in the very northwest corner of the country. It's actually less than an hour from Vancouver.
Let me just say that Seattle and Vancouver are two of the most beautiful cities I have ever visited. Mountains, trees, foilage, crisp clean air, and everything is green, green, green. Much more beautiful and scenic than brown, brown, brown.
Anyway, my green adventure began in Seattle when Alamo decided to rent us a brand spanking new Toyota Prius. Yep, it's that ugly hybrid car that everybody in DC drives. If you've never driven one before, they're a little weird (maybe Al designed it? You'll have to check it out yourself). So here we are, making our drive up to Lynden, when I'm thinking, "As long as I'm driving a hybrid, why not use the carpool lane too?" So we did, even though there was no traffic. Ha!!
Lynden was beautiful. A bit on the chilly side compared to Phoenix, but it was a nice change. My host family lived on a lake with a view of a mountain similar to the one in the photo. For some reason my bed in the guest room had a green bedspread, continuing the theme. Guess what the Lynden High School colors are? You guessed it... green (and yellow). The gym was green, the volleyballs were green, and so was the lettuce on my lunch sandwiches. I also ate a couple of granola bars with the green wrapper (not sure which flavor that is).
It took 6 gallons of gas to drive more than 300 miles last week, saving the company a bit green. As I dropped the rental car back off at the airport, I could have sworn that I heard a couple of airport custodians humming "Green Sleeves" as I entered the restroom. I was so inspired that I used the air dryer instead of paper towels after washing my hands.
Now I'm back in the brown "dirt clod" as Breena calls it. Fortunately, I still have 3 more camps in Oregon and Washington this summer, so I'm sure that many more green adventures lie ahead.
13 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment