Sunday, June 08, 2008

Welcome to Michigan: Check your foreign car upon entry, or...

...paint a target on your hood. Yes, here we are in Michigan, the Great Lakes State, a place where neither of us has been before. Upon crossing the border a little over a week ago, we pulled into a Wendy's to stop for lunch before concluding our 32 hour drive from Mesa to Dearborn. Of the 20 or so cars in the parking lot, ours was the only foreign car. It was an eerie feeling (so to speak)... kinda like stepping into the twilight zone I guess you could say. We knew of course coming in that the proportion of domestic cars would be much higher in the state where the Big Three are located, but it made us feel uneasy enough to scarf down our lunch quickly and head back out on the road.

We are living in an extended stay hotel right in the center of Ford country. There is a mall across the parking lot, a Benihanas next door, and I only have to walk across the street to get to work. It's a good thing... who knows what would happen to me if somebody in my department saw me pull up in an Acura.

Some may say that I've already been "drinking from the water" here, but there are several Ford products that I am really excited about, one of which is the Focus. Mostly though, I am in love with the Edge. This is the sweetest crossover out there right now, so I encourage you to check it out.




3 comments:

Katie said...

I am planning a trip to the library for The Historian. I love a good tip - Thank you!!!

Your blog has long been my favorite to look at when I want to live vicarioulsy...Austria, Germany, London, Paris, Czech Republic, Budapest...

I truly had no idea how boring my own life was. =) Love your travel pics!

nancyandcort said...

You know ... I've always been a Chevy girl myself, but now I'm in the thinking that as long as I can make the "Queen Creek Drive" it's all good! I guess I really just need to admit that I'm a foreign minivan mom and just get on with it, but who's admitting? I know you're in Ford country, but if everyone was jumping off a cliff would you do it too? It's soooo good to hear from you!

Anonymous said...

Holy cow...Breena Welker...is that you? I just found you through Nancy's blog. WOW. What a life you have...talk about adventure. I think I will live vicariously through you...amazing! Oh...and this is Sonia Poulsen Cobb!