I had several friends contact me this week to let me know that they thought of me during conference...and wanted to know how I was holding up after President Beck's talk. It's nice to have friends who know the kind of things that really drive me crazy. It's also nice to know that I'm apparently the posterchild for all feminist ideals among my friends. I hope I don't disappoint. For the record, I do get the gist of the message she was trying to share. and it's a vital and important one and one that I share. Unfortunately, my interpretation of the meaning of her message was altered by her perjorative and divisive (and repetitive) use of the word "best", her focus on external apperances as indicators for internal/spiritual status, and the use of graphics like a woman holding a bottle of windex. I'm pretty sure I'll never equate my salvation or that of my family with clean windows. I really appreciated her strong delivery. I just wish that as the only woman leader speaking in conference, her focus would have been on strong doctrine and not the peripheral indicators of such. 'Nuff said.
Most of conference, though, was amazing and much needed. Here are my current favorites in no particular order:
http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,49-1-775-30,00.html
http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,49-1-775-15,00.html
http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,49-1-775-7,00.html
http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,49-1-775-13,00.html
http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,49-1-775-24,00.html
http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,49-1-775-38,00.html
13 years ago

1 comments:
you were the first person i called. you are my favorite feminazi.
Post a Comment