After much contemplation and ponderance (yes, it's a word... I invented it) on what to focus on here at Thunderbird, I've finally decided to specialize in Marketing.... with emphasis in market research and consumer insight. Those of you who know me well know that I have a keen interest in why consumers act the way they do. I myself am an interesting case study since I am currently boycotting Shell gas stations not because their gas is low quality, but because they were out of paper towels my last 2 visits (to properly clean my windshield). Hey, at least I gave them a chance to redeem themselves!! I also think about things like why Walgreen's insists on placing their toothpaste on the opposite side of the store from other toiletries... upsetting as a consumer, but smart as a marketer since I walked up and down the aisles 12 times looking for it and in the process impulsively bought a Hershey bar as well. My choice is no surprise to Breena, since I still on occasion sing or hum the words to commercials that are 20 years old. Like she says, I'm a marketer's dream!!
Anyway, while I haven't ruled out interest in organizational development and labor relations, marketing will be my primary focus as I search for a 2008 summer internship. Ideally, I'm seeking corporate experience with a Fortune 1000 company, although I'm not partial to any one particular industry. Geographically, Breena and I are casting the net very wide, at least for the first several years, and understand that we could end up anywhere from London (Breena says "yes please") to Buenos Aires (Tim says "yes please") to Detroit (umm... please no) to Austin (we think "yes please"). There are obvious geographic locations that are better than others when considering closeness to family, weather, cost of living, etc. However, I'm a firm believer that he who is flexible with his job now is certain to gain much more flexibility in the future for the betterment of all.
If anybody has any good tips or coaching they would like to give me in regard to searching for an internship, or has a company they would highly recommend (I'm currently building my list, so contacts are greatly appreciated), I welcome any help I can get. Like Verizon says, it's all about the network!!
13 years ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment