BYU has an unbelievable library. I've come to realize this over the past year as I've searched for obscure eastern european education periodicals. Everytime that the Washington University Library consortium would come up empty, I would check Worldcat and, sure enough, BYU would have it. If only my alumni status would grant me full access to this treasure chest. Current Zoobies...don't take this for granted.
But I'm so excited about my recent discovery that I forgive BYU for not sharing more with me. The Digital Collection from BYU. There's so much information I don't even know where to start. And it's digitized, searchable, FREE and accessible to the public.
My most exciting discovery thus far is definitely the Woman's Exponent from 1872-1914. This Salt Lake City-based periodical looks at early feminism, the suffrage movement, sisterhood and mormonism within the context of current and political events of the time. It begins during the Civil War reconstruction period and is absolutely fascinating.
Here are a couple of snippets from the first page of the first edition from June 1, 1872:
The season of scattering intellectual filth has set in over the country. It occurs quadrennially in the United States, commencing a few months before the Presidential election..
I guess 135 years doesn't change things much...the election filth is still alive and well. Except it now starts a few YEARS before the election, not just a few months.
Mrs. Carrie F. Young, editor of the "Pacific Journal of Health" has been lecturing in Idaho on Temperance and 'Woman Suffrage. The editor of the “Idaho 'World" was not present but did not regret his absence. He says 'We feel a most decided repugnance to the exhibition of a woman upon the rostrum, advocating such degrading theories as ' woman suffrage' and other cognate subjects.." He omits to state whether "Temperance" is one of the degrading theories to which he refers..
I love this one. A little fiesty and sarcastic...especially for the time.
Just had to share. If my nerd status was ever in doubt...well, now you know for sure.
13 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment