Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Weekends.


Last weekend Leslie and Alex took us to see some caves, Grutas de Garcia, just outside of Monterrey. They were fantastic! Some serious stallagtites and stallagmites. The whole interior of the cave looked like something designed by Gaudi, so of course I loved it. And Tim thought it looked just like the cover of YES's "Classic Yes" and "Relayer" albums, so of course he loved it.




We took a teleferico up the mountain and were led with a group through the caves, with frequent stops to see formations that looked like various Catholic Saints, animals and a coke bottle. I had troubling seeing the resemblance in most of them. Guess I need to brush up on my Catholic Saints. But I did see "El Gorila," no problemo. Guess that comes from being a life long Suns fan.
My favorite was the "Arbol de Navidad" or Christmas Tree--a formation that vaguely resembled a lopsided Rockefeller Plaza-sized Christmas tree with tinsel hanging from the branches. This formation was located in one of the darkest and most peaceful parts of the cave. I was really enjoying this part of the tour when...POW...our guide hit a switch and that "Christmas tree" lit up like the Griswald's, complete with flashing, electric star on top. The archeologist/conservationist rage in the air was pretty palpable. I just had to laugh. Viva, Mexico!

This is where we're going this weekend...Cancun!


I'm so excited. It's only for two days, but I've never been. Thank you cheap flights and Marriott associate rates. We'll spend a day in the ocean and a day visiting ruins. I'll post pics next week.

2 comments:

Jane said...

Are you in Cancun right now? You should see the snow we have, it took me and Aaron three hours to shovel it all. Our neighborhood got slammed like I have never seen. Aaron's 15 minute commute took 3 hours on Wed. I hope you are enjoying beautiful, warm weather and scenery. Please relax on the beach for me. You are so lucky to have the Marriott connection, I sure do miss that. Have so much fun in Cancun.!

Cheryl said...

How fun! Thanks for sharing! Very excited to hear more about your adventures and see all the pics. Tell Les and Alex hi!