My reading habits have improved greatly with the lack of English television here in Prague. I recently finished two good novels. Neither is going on my "favorites of all time" list but I would recommend them, particularly to those who love historical fiction, mysteries, and Brit Lit.
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
My take: characters were a bit flat, but I like the way the story unfolds piece by piece. Overall, a good classic (if unoriginal) story.

The Invention of Everything Else by Samantha Hunt

My take: I'm totally fascinated by Tesla and this novel does a good job imagining him in the last years of his life. It also paints a very pretty, shiny Art Deco picture of New York City in the 40's. It's obvious the author did some thorough historical research for this book, i really liked the footnotes (nerd, yes). However, I was dissappointed with the last 50 pages, where things get stagnant and disjointed. Almost like the author was past her deadline and had to wrap it up quickly. Overall, though, I did like it.
0 comments:
Post a Comment